Go Back   The Come Up Board > PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:57 AM
asdf offline
Gold user.

asdf is on a distinguished road

nice thread. For what i shoot (mostly bmx) I have two lenses.

50mm f/1.4 and a 10.5mm f/2.8 Both are amazing.

I want to grab a long lense however for that range I don't have. I can make due with the 10.5mm and the 50mm. But it's not as big of a loss as not having anything passed 50mm. So first on the list would be a long lens. Gonna start doing some research on it, but just to shoot it out there:

anyone have any suggestions on a nice lense let's say...70mm+?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:35 AM
fatman offline
"the nigga could wear a bra" - muffin

fatman is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Dude;899278]From what i here the sigma 30mm is pretty crappy. Isnt there a cheaper canon equivalent?

Yea 35 2.0. Wouldnt get it unless its a USM though
Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 AM
lafbmx offline
Platinum.

lafbmx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic! View Post
I wish Nikon had f/4 alternatives in their lens lineups. I want an ultrawide bad, but the 17-35/2.8 is $1,700 and the 14-24 is $1,800 so it will have to wait. I'd kill for something L quality for $700 in that range. I know a lot of Nikon shooters would really like a 70-200/f4 too.
wow fuck that. luckily for all of the stuff im shooting at the moment, and probably for a long while to come, older manual focus glass works out just perfectly. its so good finding nice lenses for $100
Old 01-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Tommy offline
Premature OGulation

Tommy is on a distinguished road

dude, how much are you looking for the 50 f/1.4? are you willing to trade and what version is it af or non?
Old 01-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post

anyone have any suggestions on a nice lense let's say...70mm+?
Do you want a zoom or a prime? For bmx your not gonna want to go to long becuase then your gonna have to be 3 blocks away just to shoot a hand rail. Do you need AF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
dude, how much are you looking for the 50 f/1.4? are you willing to trade and what version is it af or non?
Not sure if im selling yet, and i have to look into what they go for these days. Its the AF-D version
Old 01-14-2010, 04:14 PM
BGB offline
bg's finest

BGB is on a distinguished road

I have:

Nikkor 50mm 1.4
Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6

What i want:

Nikkor 6mm
Nikkor 10.5mm
Nikkor 85mm 1.8
Nikkor 35mm 1.8
Nikkor 70-200mm 2.8
Sigma 10-20mm 3.5-4
Old 01-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Dude

An update on my thoughts. Want to sell all the lenses except for the fish. I could buy a lot of nice glass for the 500 bucks I could sell it for but its not worth it because I know im gonna need it for some stuff for sure. Ive narrowed down what I need to a few certain criteria. Now there are some lenses that could take up more then one criteria. For all these im talking about the AF lenses:

Fisheye
Low-light prime
Telephoto
Wide angle
Mid-range zoom

Now hopefully I can cover that in 3-4 lenses. The 2 lenses im set on having is the 10.5mm and the 85mm 1.8 right now. The 10.5 obviously covers the fisheye, and 85mm covers the low light prime and the telephoto. So then I need a wide angle and zoom. I need the zoom for the walk around stuff that I cant control how far I am from the subject. Id like to cover this in one lens but I don’t think I can. The 20-35mm 2.8 is nice but expensive. Its as wide as I want and Id be able to work around not having anything between 35mm and 85mm. Another option would be to get the 35-70mm 2.8. Its not as wide as I would like but it’s a nice range and the build I want. Only mild concern is it’s a push-pull zoom, how do you guys feel about that? Dbunn? Now if I got that I dunno if I would want something wider in which case I might consider something like the 24mm or 20mm 2.8. But that idea seems kinda pointless because that wide range is an area I really like the wide zoom idea because not all my shots of subjects id shoot with either the 24mm or 20mm would I want that wide, and I wouldn’t wanna change lens just for wide angle. Sorry if that doesn’t make sense.

Ive also considered the 80-200mm 2.8 push-pull. But that’s not a range I need all to much and when I did have a lens in that range is was mainly used in the wider end. That’s why I think it would make sense to use the 85mm because its smaller lighter faster and cheaper.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:19 PM
fatman offline
"the nigga could wear a bra" - muffin

fatman is on a distinguished road

Canon 100-400 for me once i get my National Geographic Deal
Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Dude

Also considering the 16-85mm. not sure becuase its not that fast but it does have VR and i like how wide it is.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:45 PM
NIrish24 offline
In Training.

NIrish24 is on a distinguished road

atm all i have is a canon 1.8 50m and the 18-55 stock.

wanting a sigma 10-20
Old 01-15-2010, 07:08 PM
DBUNN offline
Double Platinum.

DBUNN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DBUNN

The push and pulls are nice. It took me like 15 minutes after i got it to realize that i had to pull it rather then twist. I mean i had one tim where i was facing down and the barrel kinda creeped down but it doesnt happen if ur hands on it. I recomend that 70-210 mm its fast and sharp and i love it
Go to the strip club, you need some tittes in your face.

east coast
http://thebunngeon.blogspot.com/

flikr
Old 01-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBUNN View Post
The push and pulls are nice. It took me like 15 minutes after i got it to realize that i had to pull it rather then twist. I mean i had one tim where i was facing down and the barrel kinda creeped down but it doesnt happen if ur hands on it. I recomend that 70-210 mm its fast and sharp and i love it
True that. Im really looking at the 35-70 2.8 but Im just concerned about the wide end =/
Old 01-15-2010, 11:40 PM
DBUNN offline
Double Platinum.

DBUNN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DBUNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
True that. Im really looking at the 35-70 2.8 but Im just concerned about the wide end =/
Well i know im selling my 28-70 and buying a 35mm 1.8 prime in its place
Go to the strip club, you need some tittes in your face.

east coast
http://thebunngeon.blogspot.com/

flikr
Old 01-16-2010, 06:05 AM
jstncse offline
In Training.

jstncse is on a distinguished road

i have a humble kit, but i get the most i can out if it, i think.

tokina 10-17, i def like it for bmx. its sharp for the money, and the nearly 180 degree fov is really nice too. auto focus is clunky and noisy, but who shoots a fish on anything besides infinity anywyas.

28-105 awful decision. i figured having something to cover that range would be a good choice a couple years ago, even if it wasn't quality glass. after all, anything at f8 is going to be sharp... i wish i would have just kept the money.

50 1.8 II. for ninety dollars who can really say anything negative about this lens. probably the sharpest lens i own, and i wouldn't crap if it got broken. af is impossible in the dark, and it's always loud is my only gripe.

sigma 70-200 2.8. panic pretty much nailed this one, but it's plenty sharp for all of my purposes. i shot a childrens play a couple months back, and the extra stop was really nice. none of the parents had anything negative to say about the photos either. the market is small around here, and you can get away with third party pretty easily.

id love a 17-40L. honestly thats the only focal length that would be practical for me to have. i just dont shoot much outside of bmx that makes me happy, so it's really hard to justify spending that much on a lens im going to use shooting commercial stuff. i want a mf outfit and a decent scanner more, and i could probably pull those off for close to the same amount.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:47 PM
gutstains offline
1/500 @ f/8 ALL FKN DAY

gutstains is on a distinguished road

the lenses i use most are the fish, 70-200 f/4L & the 24-105 f/4L
i also have a 35-70 f/3.5-5.6 & a lensbaby 3G

for bmx stuff, its pretty much either the fish or the white lens
for most things non-bmx, i really like the 24-105 & the 70-200.
i use the 35-70 almost exlusively with my rebel G film body
and the lensbaby gets used occasionally with the 5DmkII

i've heard it said that the canon 15mm fish is pretty much an L lens without the red stripe.
i couldnt imagine using anything else...it feels (and looks, in my opinion) so perfect on my 1.3x body
after three or so feet, the DOF goes from super shallow to broad as fuck.
when focused near infinty with an f/stop above 6.3, almost everything will be in focus.
and if you ever loose the metal cap, the top from a small jar of JIF peanut butter with the threads sanded out works great!

the 70-200 f/4L is definitely the best/favorite lens i own.
for the longest, i was torn between getting the f/4 or waiting out a f/2.8IS
the f/2.8IS was the only 70-200 i'd ever shot with and its soooooo nice.
i'd only seen an f/4 once & when i opened the box it came in, i kinda thought "WTF is this thing?!"
its an inch+ shorter than the f/2.8 & 10mm less on the filter size
eventually i want to own both the deluxe & the stripped down version.
i want the f/2.8IS for when i know i'll be in low light and/or need a weatherseal between the body/lens.
i dont shoot a ton in low light & appreciate in savings in weight on my back & bank account, so i went with the f/4
the glass, build quality, USM, focus tracking & bokeh are all but identical to the f/2.8's.
only thing i'd really like on the f/4's are weatherseals.

the 24-105 f/4L is the perfect companion to the 5DmkII, hands down.
theres something about the trueness of the focal lengths that makes it so versatile.
true 24mm is wider than the average wide angle & 105mm is really pleasing for portraits.
i think i came to appreciate this lens most when shooting events..perfect for getting wide group shots in tight spaces & still having a little length for candids & everything in between.
call me spoiled, but since i've been using the 5DmkII, i've really come to appreciate L glass more & more.
i'm kind of obsessive about sharpness & clarity as it is, but after seeing what nice glass can do (on a 4 & 21mp sensor), i might not ever go back.

another thing about the 5D that changed the game for me was micro-adjusting focus with liveview.
going in 5x & 10x shows you, up close & personal, whats really in focus.
this, to me, is absolutely invlaueable.
you'd be quite surprised the difference a millimiter or two's difference is when shooting super shallow DOF or broad ass landscapes.
its those few millimeters that can make a photo absolutely perfect.

eventually i'd like my lens arsenal to contain the following
16-35 f/2.8L
35mm f/1.4L
85mm f/1.2L
100mm f/2.8L macro
24mm TS-E f/3.5L
70-200 f/2.8L IS + 2x converter

if you dont have liveview, your eyes are bad, you're using manual lenses or you've made it this far in reading what i wrote...
heres a couple of the best tips in this whole thread:
it never occured to me to do this until a couple weeks ago when a friend, dropped this on me like a ton of bricks...
you can press the shutter button down halfway, move the focus ring at the same time & the camera will beep when the area on your selected AF point is in focus.
shits genius & works like a charm.

the other trick is for focusing in low light or complete darkness.
shine a laser pointer through the viewfinder of your camera, it will come out of the lens & you can project it onto your subject or area you want in focus.
when your lens is out of focus, the dot will be fuzzy & undefined, when its infocus, the dot will be small, tight & sharp.

hope someone got something, anything out of this.

twitter.com/gutstains
flickr
Old 01-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutstains View Post
the lenses i use most are the fish, 70-200 f/4L & the 24-105 f/4L
i also have a 35-70 f/3.5-5.6 & a lensbaby 3G

for bmx stuff, its pretty much either the fish or the white lens
for most things non-bmx, i really like the 24-105 & the 70-200.
i use the 35-70 almost exlusively with my rebel G film body
and the lensbaby gets used occasionally with the 5DmkII

i've heard it said that the canon 15mm fish is pretty much an L lens without the red stripe.
i couldnt imagine using anything else...it feels (and looks, in my opinion) so perfect on my 1.3x body
after three or so feet, the DOF goes from super shallow to broad as fuck.
when focused near infinty with an f/stop above 6.3, almost everything will be in focus.
and if you ever loose the metal cap, the top from a small jar of JIF peanut butter with the threads sanded out works great!

the 70-200 f/4L is definitely the best/favorite lens i own.
for the longest, i was torn between getting the f/4 or waiting out a f/2.8IS
the f/2.8IS was the only 70-200 i'd ever shot with and its soooooo nice.
i'd only seen an f/4 once & when i opened the box it came in, i kinda thought "WTF is this thing?!"
its an inch+ shorter than the f/2.8 & 10mm less on the filter size
eventually i want to own both the deluxe & the stripped down version.
i want the f/2.8IS for when i know i'll be in low light and/or need a weatherseal between the body/lens.
i dont shoot a ton in low light & appreciate in savings in weight on my back & bank account, so i went with the f/4
the glass, build quality, USM, focus tracking & bokeh are all but identical to the f/2.8's.
only thing i'd really like on the f/4's are weatherseals.

the 24-105 f/4L is the perfect companion to the 5DmkII, hands down.
theres something about the trueness of the focal lengths that makes it so versatile.
true 24mm is wider than the average wide angle & 105mm is really pleasing for portraits.
i think i came to appreciate this lens most when shooting events..perfect for getting wide group shots in tight spaces & still having a little length for candids & everything in between.
call me spoiled, but since i've been using the 5DmkII, i've really come to appreciate L glass more & more.
i'm kind of obsessive about sharpness & clarity as it is, but after seeing what nice glass can do (on a 4 & 21mp sensor), i might not ever go back.

another thing about the 5D that changed the game for me was micro-adjusting focus with liveview.
going in 5x & 10x shows you, up close & personal, whats really in focus.
this, to me, is absolutely invlaueable.
you'd be quite surprised the difference a millimiter or two's difference is when shooting super shallow DOF or broad ass landscapes.
its those few millimeters that can make a photo absolutely perfect.

eventually i'd like my lens arsenal to contain the following
16-35 f/2.8L
35mm f/1.4L
85mm f/1.2L
100mm f/2.8L macro
24mm TS-E f/3.5L
70-200 f/2.8L IS + 2x converter

if you dont have liveview, your eyes are bad, you're using manual lenses or you've made it this far in reading what i wrote...
heres a couple of the best tips in this whole thread:
it never occured to me to do this until a couple weeks ago when a friend, dropped this on me like a ton of bricks...
you can press the shutter button down halfway, move the focus ring at the same time & the camera will beep when the area on your selected AF point is in focus.
shits genius & works like a charm.

the other trick is for focusing in low light or complete darkness.
shine a laser pointer through the viewfinder of your camera, it will come out of the lens & you can project it onto your subject or area you want in focus.
when your lens is out of focus, the dot will be fuzzy & undefined, when its infocus, the dot will be small, tight & sharp.

hope someone got something, anything out of this.
Good stuff. Im really split between a few lenses. Ultimately i dont want anymore then 3-4 lenses. If I had to have 3 it would be the 10.5mm for sure. Then i want a good f/2.8 mid range zoom and then a telephoto prime, ie the 85mm 1.8. I dont have many options from nikon for a lower priced 2.8 zoom and i really dont wanna go off brand but i may have to. Te tokina 16-50mm 2.8 looks good. The other tokina lenses ive used have been great so im the edge here. The nikon options would be the 35-70mm 2.8 which is push pull zoom and not very wide. Another option would be the 20-35 2.8 which is pretty expensive and then i wouldnt have a lens from 35 to 85. Ive thought about nikons cheaper zooms but there not 2.8 and not built as well, but the 16-85mm does have VR so that would help in low light
Old 01-17-2010, 06:09 PM
asdf offline
Gold user.

asdf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do you want a zoom or a prime? For bmx your not gonna want to go to long becuase then your gonna have to be 3 blocks away just to shoot a hand rail. Do you need AF?
Ya, this will mostly be for everything outside of bmx. I'm thinking a zoom, since I'm not really gonna be looking for extra crisp images. Just something to play with, use it for sports, and shots from travels. But the longest I got right now is a 50mm, and it's good for a lot of shit, but if you need to frame shit right, it makes it very hard sometimes.

As far as AF, it's not necessary, but I think I'd use it at times when I'm just lazy and just shooting to shoot when you're in that state of mind.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
Ya, this will mostly be for everything outside of bmx. I'm thinking a zoom, since I'm not really gonna be looking for extra crisp images. Just something to play with, use it for sports, and shots from travels. But the longest I got right now is a 50mm, and it's good for a lot of shit, but if you need to frame shit right, it makes it very hard sometimes.

As far as AF, it's not necessary, but I think I'd use it at times when I'm just lazy and just shooting to shoot when you're in that state of mind.
Gotcha. What you wanna spend? I mean obviously the best way to go would be a 70-200 2.8. But idk if you wanna spend that much. If you want a zoom your most likely gonna want AF. The 55-200 VR is supposidly nice. If even thats to much money theres alot of older lenses that are nice too like the 70-210.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:11 PM
Panic!

Quote:
Good stuff. Im really split between a few lenses. Ultimately i dont want anymore then 3-4 lenses. If I had to have 3 it would be the 10.5mm for sure. Then i want a good f/2.8 mid range zoom and then a telephoto prime, ie the 85mm 1.8. I dont have many options from nikon for a lower priced 2.8 zoom and i really dont wanna go off brand but i may have to. Te tokina 16-50mm 2.8 looks good. The other tokina lenses ive used have been great so im the edge here. The nikon options would be the 35-70mm 2.8 which is push pull zoom and not very wide. Another option would be the 20-35 2.8 which is pretty expensive and then i wouldnt have a lens from 35 to 85. Ive thought about nikons cheaper zooms but there not 2.8 and not built as well, but the 16-85mm does have VR so that would help in low light
For DX, the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is an awesome wid/mid zoom lens. You'll be really impressed.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:19 PM
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic! View Post
For DX, the Tamron 17-50 2.8 is an awesome wid/mid zoom lens. You'll be really impressed.
I hear its good but i really want a lens with a super strong build with little plastic. My sigma 18-50 2.8 ended up being a big dissapointment