Go Back   The Come Up Board > PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2010, 01:43 AM
Dude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Flash Discussion

Since the Lens thread seems to be going strong I think this would be another good thread to have.

What do you have? What do you like? What dont you like? What do you wish you had?






I have 2 SB-28s and a SB-800
Cybersync triggers
Impact lightstands and umbrelllas
Cheap ebay softbox
DIY beauty dish and ring flash

Works swell for most stuff I shoot. The strobes are powerful enough to shoot at around 7-10 feet in broad daylight if I zoom them in and have them between 1/4 and 1/2 Depending on how bright out. The 28s are much better for use off camera becuase there shoes clamp down unlike the 800.

The flashes have a good amount of power, but the issue is that 1/1 burst drain the battery quick and take a while to recycle. Not really an issue for one person portraits indoors and out but I want to pick a pair of cheap monolights. Ive been looking at the external battery packs too but thats still alot of money for still having the hassel of changing the batterys. For the records im still using normal akaline batterys which are mad expensive when your replacing 12+ of them every week or 2. So im looking at the cheaper kits on B&H and you can get like 2 100w monolights with softboxes and stands for like 200 bills. I know thats not much more powerful then the SB's but i can fire off full power bursts without worrying about the batteries when shooting somewhere with AC power. For the times there isnt an outlet im thinking about one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DPP-6...8&s=automotive

Wonder how that would hold up compared to a vagabond.

The monolights wouldnt be used for BMX unless i knew i would be shooting in a situation where i would need that much light.

So whats up with you dudes
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2010, 01:54 AM
Grizzy Streets's Avatar
Grizzy Streets offline
Gold user.
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 897
Grizzy Streets is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Grizzy Streets
Default

all i got right now is a 430 ex2 but im looking to get another and a 580 ex2 when i get some money but yeah not much to say since i dont have more then one flash and havent used radio slaves for one flash haha but i got no complaints its a pretty kick ass flash
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Darwin. View Post
god isn't on your fucking side nigga, if he was he would have given you the gift of knowledge, not faggotory..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2010, 01:57 AM
s-t-e-v-e
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

what i have:

sb-600
sb-25
cybersync transmitter and 2 recievers
home made 8x12 soft box


what i want:

light stands
umbrellas
real soft box





ocf is still pretty new to me though so i don't need to buy a lot of stuff any time soon, right now i've just got everything set up in my basement to try different portrait lighting techniques and stuff like that.

dude for batteries try the sanyo eneloops, i use them in both flashes and my f90x and they last a loonggg time for me, and then only take a little while to recharge once they finally die.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 AM
Dude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-t-e-v-e View Post
what i have:

sb-600
sb-25
cybersync transmitter and 2 recievers
home made 8x12 soft box


what i want:

light stands
umbrellas
real soft box





ocf is still pretty new to me though so i don't need to buy a lot of stuff any time soon, right now i've just got everything set up in my basement to try different portrait lighting techniques and stuff like that.

dude for batteries try the sanyo eneloops, i use them in both flashes and my f90x and they last a loonggg time for me, and then only take a little while to recharge once they finally die.

Word man


Lightstands will make a HUGE difference in your pictures. Your limiting like 99% of possible flash locations by just putting them on the ground or on ledges.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 AM
SHITSWEAK's Avatar
SHITSWEAK offline
In Training.
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: X1A
Posts: 371
SHITSWEAK is on a distinguished road
Default

i actually just picked up my first light, an sb600, last week. its already making a huge difference in my shotting.

im only firing it optically, but it still is sooo nice to have an off camera flash. as soon as im on better internet i'll be uploading a few looking for some advice haha.

i really need to pick up a light stand, umbrella and a set of cyber syncs.

edit- oh and i have a home made 'light stand', reflector and snoot
__________________
This is my bike.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2010, 02:05 AM
Fender5388's Avatar
Fender5388 offline
Platinum.
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: KCMO
Posts: 1,711
Fender5388 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Word man


Lightstands will make a HUGE difference in your pictures. Your limiting like 99% of possible flash locations by just putting them on the ground or on ledges.
so true, when i had my first flash for a few months before i got a flash and it was so much better..

and i also think i remember Van saying he had a bunch of rechargeable AA batteries for his flashes.


what i have now:


2x vivitar 285hv
cybersync for the wireless

two lightstands with umbrellas
and my DIY ringflash

i dunno what i would want next probably a sb-600/ 800
__________________
Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Dude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHITSWEAK View Post
i actually just picked up my first light, an sb600, last week. its already making a huge difference in my shotting.

im only firing it optically, but it still is sooo nice to have an off camera flash. as soon as im on better internet i'll be uploading a few looking for some advice haha.

i really need to pick up a light stand, umbrella and a set of cyber syncs.

edit- oh and i have a home made 'light stand', reflector and snoot
REalize if you get cybersyncs you wont be able to use them with the 600 unless you get a hot shoe adapter which are notorious for being reliable which would counter the point of getting cybersyncs. Eiether get some ebay triggers until you get a sb-800 or other flash with a PC terminal or grab 2 vivitar 285's (like 50 each) and use the cybersyncs with them and reserve teh the sb-600 for on camera. I had that setup for a while and it was sweet.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender5388 View Post
so true, when i had my first flash for a few months before i got a flash and it was so much better..

and i also think i remember Van saying he had a bunch of rechargeable AA batteries for his flashes.


what i have now:


2x vivitar 285hv
cybersync for the wireless

two lightstands with umbrellas
and my DIY ringflash

i dunno what i would want next probably a sb-600/ 800
If you want your next flash for use on camera and off go for the 800. Ive thought about selling mine becuase there selling for a shitload on ebay becuuase there discountinued but theres really no alternative flash that has a PC port and will TTL with the newew cameras.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2010, 04:13 AM
patrickmartinez's Avatar
patrickmartinez offline
In Training.
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: palmsprings ca
Posts: 142
patrickmartinez is on a distinguished road
Default im rockn

sb-800 sb-600
cheap walmart tripods as light stands
and using the comand mode on my d200 to trigger the flashes



id like some real lightstands
some pocket wizards
nice set of soft boxes and some nice stobes for a little studio set up. and maybe curves for dummies, if they even make that haha.
__________________
KingsRideShop

facebook
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2010, 04:23 AM
Dude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickmartinez View Post
sb-800 sb-600
cheap walmart tripods as light stands
and using the comand mode on my d200 to trigger the flashes



id like some real lightstands
some pocket wizards
nice set of soft boxes and some nice stobes for a little studio set up. and maybe curves for dummies, if they even make that haha.
Tripods are underated as lightstands. There more adaptable to uneven surface like steps or wierd skatepark features then lightstands. Only reason to go to lightstands is for umbrellas but you could still attach and umbrealla bracket to a tripod i think

Pocket wizards are overated, get cybersyncs or skyports
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2010, 04:38 AM
Panic!
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

2 - SB-800 - Nikon shouldn't have discontinued it. Amazing flash and it sucks that they're so expensive used. If they brought it back it would sell like crazy. The SB-600 is missing a bunch of features and the SB-900 has too many useless ones and is too expensive.

SB-28 - It's like an SB-800 that won't do CLS, TTL and high speed sync and doesn't have a slave. But it's about the same power, has a sync terminal and is a perfectly good manual off camera flash.

2 - Vivitar 285 - These don't get much use any more from me, but are still good, powerful flashes. The recycle time is pretty much a deal breaker in my case. They work and have decent power so I'll pull them out to supplement a setup sometimes, but the power levels are in full stops only and they're kind of clunky. They're super cheap though and are an obvious choice for anyone just starting out with manual off camera flashes.

Sunpak 544 - Handle mount flash. the 622's little brother. Powerful and precise power levels. Big and kind of a pain in the ass to carry around and setup compared to speedlights. Also no zoom head stock.

1 - Alien Bee 1600 - Cheap, damn powerful monolight. Underexpose the ambient in mid day sun while shooting through a modifier no problem. F/18-20 @ 10 feet through a softbox. Not built like a tank but you know what you're getting into. I love these things.
1 - Alien Bee 800 - Same thing but a little less power. It's still many times the power of any speedlight.
1 - Vagabond II battery pack/inverter - I've used one in the corner of a ballroom at a wedding to light up a whole room firing ~800 shots at 1/16th-1/8th power(probably about 1/2-full power on an SB-800, but I've never tested) on the AB800 and not even come close to having the battery die.

1- 5' silver PLM with diffusion fabric This combo is pretty much a 5' softbox. Really controlled light from a large source. They make a larger one too, but this one is huge as it is. And it's heavy too. It opens and attaches like an umbrella, but you'd have a hell of a time keeping this up on an umbrella bracket. I'd say it's too big for hot shoe flashes anyway. This is my favorite modifier right now. If you're using this outdoors you have to weigh your stand down or you can kiss it goodbye. It's like a 5' sail. I tie my Vagabond to it as well as a 25lb sandbag.


3 - Westcott 45" shoot through umbrellas
(with removable black back to use them as reflective) - Pretty standard.


1 - 28" Westcott Apollo softbox - This softbox opens and attaches like an umbrella, so there's no assembly needed. Nice light for 1-2 people. A little cumbersome to get inside and adjust flash levels.

1 - 24" Lastolite EZbox knockoff - Ebay special. Works exactly the same. Nice sized softbox for headshots.


Lots of stands, A boom arm, a reflector holder, a few reflectors, and a bunch of other misc. stuff. That sounds like a lot but it's pretty modest.

I didn't put much detail into that because I'm typing this quick so any questions just ask.

I'm picking up one of the AB beauty dishes with the grid in the next month or two, and I'd like to grab a couple of strip softboxes and a giant softbox(30"x60") with a grid soon. I've got a bunch of income coming in and I have a handful of things I need...or want...and need to decide where best to spend it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Panic!
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
The 28s are much better for use off camera because their shoes clamp down unlike the 800.
Get yourself some cold shoes that have clamps on them to hold the flash on. If you have umbrella brackets where the cold shoe isn't removable then get umbrella brackets that come with cold shoes with clamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
For the records im still using normal akaline batterys which are mad expensive when your replacing 12+ of them every week or 2.
Dude, you're sleeping on some rechargable NiMH batteries. Go to Walmart or Target and get the Energizer rechargables. Get 2500mAh or more. You'll get a lot more flashes per charge and your recycle times will improve greatly.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 AM
Dude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic! View Post
Get yourself some cold shoes that have clamps on them to hold the flash on. If you have umbrella brackets where the cold shoe isn't removable then get umbrella brackets that come with cold shoes with clamps.



Dude, you're sleeping on some rechargable NiMH batteries. Go to Walmart or Target and get the Energizer rechargables. Get 2500mAh or more. You'll get a lot more flashes per charge and your recycle times will improve greatly.


I had those screws on them back when i shot 285s which had a built in clamps so i tossed them becuase they got in the way. Im sure if went to the local HWS i could find a replacement.

Yeah i just ordered some rechargeables off ebay

What do you think of using one of those portable AC power supplys for the monolights? Ive read some really great things about that 200 dollar kit, do you think its a waste of money?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-25-2010, 05:05 AM
fatman's Avatar
fatman offline
"the nigga could wear a bra" - muffin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 838
fatman is on a distinguished road
Default

RE chargeable batteries will actually speed up flash recycle. Dont do any event with out them..
As for me
1 430exii
1 vivitar
2 impact stands 10 and 8 that i keep as my backdrop stands inless im doing on location.
2 shoot threw/ bounce 45' umbrellas
1 sync cord
1 Cyber sync transmit, 2 recievers
Gels which i frequently use more often
Homemade snot

Want to get a 580ex so i can have the external battery pack with it and get some AB units or something the color temps dont change with over time
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-25-2010, 06:14 AM
Dude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

After some further thought im considering selling the SB-800 and possibly picking up a cheap 3rd party iTTL compatible flash for around 100. Thinking abuot doing this becuase i could sell the 800 for alot more then i bought it for. I dont use the TTL on in much and sitting on 300 dollars worth of gear i dont fully utilize doesnt make me happy. I mean the sb-800 is a great flash but i could get more off camera lighting either in the form of another SB-28 or possibly monolights and also a cheaper 3rd party TTL flash for the rarer occasion i need on camera light
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-25-2010, 06:55 AM
fatman's Avatar
fatman offline
"the nigga could wear a bra" - muffin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 838
fatman is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
After some further thought im considering selling the SB-800 and possibly picking up a cheap 3rd party iTTL compatible flash for around 100. Thinking abuot doing this becuase i could sell the 800 for alot more then i bought it for. I dont use the TTL on in much and sitting on 300 dollars worth of gear i dont fully utilize doesnt make me happy. I mean the sb-800 is a great flash but i could get more off camera lighting either in the form of another SB-28 or possibly monolights and also a cheaper 3rd party TTL flash for the rarer occasion i need on camera light
If you ever start doing events you might regret it
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-25-2010, 07:03 AM
Dude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatman View Post
If you ever start doing events you might regret it
Yeah thats what im thinking. Probs gonna keep the 800, i know its not gonna let me down.

I think way to much about all this shit haha
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-25-2010, 07:32 AM
jstncse's Avatar
jstncse offline
In Training.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 283
jstncse is on a distinguished road
Default

i have two 285hv's. had to replace the foot on them, but aside from that they're brilliant. i wish you had a little more control as far as output is concerned, but for the money they're everything i could want.

480 ez or ex or whatever. put a 3.5 on it, and it was a bad idea. its powerful for its size, but the sleep feature is unbearable. has all those little things like high speed sync and second shutter hooha that are fun. goes to 1/64 which is nice also. i use it for event stuff, when i need a flash on the hotshoe. works great for that purpose, but off camera it's not worth the hassle imo.

i was using old modded ebay triggers for the past couple years. i know they upgraded them and all, but the ones i had were terrible. mine were a couple years old, though. i upgraded to cybersyncs, and i couldnt be happier. i havnt been able to get out of range yet, and i havnt had a misfire yet either. i have a couple more years until my kit needs to be really legit. i cant imagine needing to upgrade even still.

ab800, pretty much what panic said. i've been shooting alot of bmx with it, and it is unbeatable for the price. has great spread with the standard reflector.

ab400, probably going to upgrade this in a few months. super fast duration. i thought this would be nice on fish stuff in daylight, but i havent even had a chance for that scenario yet. still enjoy it, and i've been doubling up with it in miday. id just say go w the 800 if you're going this route.

just random umbrellas and diy stuff. assorted light stands. i got a 13'stand when i got the ab's. it is amazing. just got a boom arm in, but i havn't used it yet. i got the newer beauty dish with the ab's, and it is unreal. you get an extra stop with it. i've been using it with bmx stuff, and its almost comical how nice the light is. all in all, i havnt been able to do much portrait stuff with this, which makes me kind of upset. hopefully i can get on that soon.

id like a t2 or something like that. i want something a little more compact. it takes an army to get all the gear around. id like something a little more practical without sacrificing alot of power. maybe one day.
__________________
tumblr
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Dude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yeah from what i hear most people say skip the ab400 and go for the 800 but id like to hear a hands on comparison in broad day light.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-25-2010, 04:28 PM
Panic!
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Yeah from what i hear most people say skip the ab400 and go for the 800 but id like to hear a hands on comparison in broad day light.
If you're talking broad daylight then definately skip the 400.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Dude
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic! View Post
If you're talking broad daylight then definately skip the 400.
Yeah that makes sense considering its double the wt/seconds for just a little more.

I think im gonna go with the cheap 2 light kit which are 100ws units. If I like using monolights ill upgrade to ab800's, i just cant drop 700 right now for 2 ab's and vagabond if im not sure there gonna be practical. I really dont need much more power then your normal flash i just need to be able to use full power without worrying about batteries. if there was an AC adapter for SB's there wouldnt be any issues =/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.