Go Back   The Come Up Board > PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:00 PM
brokencivilian offline
Quadruple Platinum.

brokencivilian is on a distinguished road

Currently have:

Sb600
Sb900
sc29 cord,

what i want:

possibly a 3rd flash and triggers
Old 01-25-2010, 08:45 PM
echoes offline
New.

echoes is on a distinguished road

Well, I only have one flash and it's about 20 years old. I'm still trying to figure how to make it work on a Nikon D80.

It's a Metz 32CT3. Anyone knows how to make it work properly on my Nikon? Also, what would I need to make it work as an external flash?

EDIT:
Old 01-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Dude

Do you think its worth holding onto my SB's if i get mono lights? I can see if where the portability would be very nice option incase i couldnt bring allien bees everywhere. Also i can see Ab's becomming an issue if i want to use a vagabond with 2 flashes and one of the flashes is really far away. I mean 100' extentsion cords are kinda a bitch to carry around and roll up and all
Old 01-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Dude

Also i think even if i went with cheaper off brand monolights i would still get a vagabond. One thing i really like about going with AB's is the huge range of completly compatible light modifiers.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:39 PM
Ze milky pirate offline
Dub Dub Dub Dublin

Ze milky pirate will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes View Post
Well, I only have one flash and it's about 20 years old. I'm still trying to figure how to make it work on a Nikon D80.

It's a Metz 32CT3. Anyone knows how to make it work properly on my Nikon? Also, what would I need to make it work as an external flash?

EDIT:
I think you set your iso, then use one of the coloured switches to select your aperture then it tells you the distance?
you cant even spell you stupid cunt
FLICKR
Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Panic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Do you think its worth holding onto my SB's if i get mono lights? I can see if where the portability would be very nice option incase i couldnt bring allien bees everywhere. Also i can see Ab's becomming an issue if i want to use a vagabond with 2 flashes and one of the flashes is really far away. I mean 100' extentsion cords are kinda a bitch to carry around and roll up and all
Quote:
Also i think even if i went with cheaper off brand monolights i would still get a vagabond. One thing i really like about going with AB's is the huge range of completly compatible light modifiers.
Absolutely hold onto your speedlights. Monolights and hot shoe flashes are two completely different tools. And if you say you're going to be shooting a couple of weddings(are you the main/only photographer at these?) then what are you going to do, drag an AB and Vagabond around with you everywhere you go for fill light?

You're never ever going to ride from spot to spot with some monos and a Vagabond. I've hiked a mile or so with my Expedition 8, two AB's around my shoulder and a Vagabond and it's a bitch.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic! View Post
Absolutely hold onto your speedlights. Monolights and hot shoe flashes are two completely different tools. And if you say you're going to be shooting a couple of weddings(are you the main/only photographer at these?) then what are you going to do, drag an AB and Vagabond around with you everywhere you go for fill light?

You're never ever going to ride from spot to spot with some monos and a Vagabond. I've hiked a mile or so with my Expedition 8, two AB's around my shoulder and a Vagabond and it's a bitch.
Thanks man I agree with all that.

I think ive decided on AB's over a cheap monolight kit, good idea right? Also what order should i buy them if i dont have the money to buy 2 lights, a vagabond, beauty dish and one of the parabolic things? I think i qualify for the 10% student discount so i wont have to buy 2 lights to get the 10% on the assesories, pluss ill get 10% off the whole order not just assesories. I guess what im getting at is should i get 2 lights first, then a vagabond once i have the money, or should i get 1 light and a vagabond to start off with?

Thanks for all the help, i know im probably getting annoyig but its easier to work it out in my head by writing it down and listing to you pros talk. <3
Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 AM
Dude

Anyone have any experiance with interfit products? They seem to above the budget brands while still being cheaper then alien bees and they have a broad range of light modifiers.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Two_Light.html
Old 01-27-2010, 04:08 AM
Panic!

Quote:
Thanks man I agree with all that.

I think ive decided on AB's over a cheap monolight kit, good idea right? Also what order should i buy them if i dont have the money to buy 2 lights, a vagabond, beauty dish and one of the parabolic things? I think i qualify for the 10% student discount so i wont have to buy 2 lights to get the 10% on the assesories, pluss ill get 10% off the whole order not just assesories. I guess what im getting at is should i get 2 lights first, then a vagabond once i have the money, or should i get 1 light and a vagabond to start off with?

Thanks for all the help, i know im probably getting annoyig but its easier to work it out in my head by writing it down and listing to you pros talk. <3
I think you'll be really happy with a fairly powerful monolight setup no matter what. ABs just happen to have the best reputation in that price/power range.

If I were you I'd probably get one AB and a Vagabond first, because it seems like the majority of the stuff you shoot is away from where you have power to plug into. If you start out just buying two lights then you'll be stuck shooting indoors or close to it with extension cords until you can save up enough for the battery pack. If you're worried about having a second light at those power levels or apertures in the meantime, you can always double or triple up on speedlights next to eachother as a second "big" light.

Quote:
Anyone have any experiance with interfit products? They seem to above the budget brands while still being cheaper then alien bees and they have a broad range of light modifiers.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Two_Light.html
Don't know anyone that shoots with them and I haven't read much about them. The ones you posted are continuous tungsten lights rather than strobes though. Looking through their monos, it looks like their power/price ratio is pretty similar to ABs.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:10 AM
Dude

Sorry wrong link but yeah thanks so much again. I wouldnt have any issues using a vagabond with other monolights right? Seems like the vagabond is the best battery system availible for that price range
Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 AM
Panic!

Quote:
I wouldnt have any issues using a vagabond with other monolights right?
Nope. You can run whatever off of it.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Dude

Quote:
Nope. You can run whatever off of it.
Alright sweet becuase i have this thing that plugs in that shakes and vibrates and i wanted to use it in public but....wait nvm
Old 01-27-2010, 12:04 PM
echoes offline
New.

echoes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze milky pirate View Post
I think you set your iso, then use one of the coloured switches to select your aperture then it tells you the distance?
Well, that was what I thought as well. I set up the ISO (my flash actually says ASA and DIN), aperture and distance (according to the distance the focus ring was telling me) and still the flash wouldn't flash. I mean, it just wouldn't let me take the picture (the flash indicator was blinking on the upper display of my Nikon).

I tried to see whether it's positioned right and it was. I checked on my old Nikon (also 20 years old) and it worked. Are there any compatibility issues or anything?

Also, would it be possible to use it as an remote flash?
Old 01-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Dude

Ryan would you go with a smaller PLM if you could? There cheap but i dont want something to big.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Dude

Also they come as just a big umbrella right? Then you gotta get the cover things you want.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Panic!

Quote:
Ryan would you go with a smaller PLM if you could? There cheap but i dont want something to big.
Quote:
Also they come as just a big umbrella right? Then you gotta get the cover things you want.
I have the 64" which is around 5'(64" is the total measure of the fabric, so it's actually smaller from end to end when open because of the curve). If you go smaller than that then you're getting a 43", which is about the same size as a large umbrella. Different light, but remember that the larger the light source, the softer the light. Off of the top of my head, it's probably about 2 1/2 ft long when it's closed. It's heavy as far as a modifer that is held by an umbrella shaft, but it's light to carry around.

You don't have to get the diffusion fabric. I use it a lot without it, especially outdoors where any wind makes putting and keeping it on a little cumbersome(the photo with the Great Danes I posted last week was shot without the fabric). My fabric fits really loose, and PCB sent me an email saying they were remanufactering new ones that fit more snug and would send me one when they came in. It does make things even softer though.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:10 PM
Dude

So do you have the silver or white one? Do you use shoot through or or bounce through the diffusion. Do you use the black backing to use as a big softbox or shoot through umbrealla wth film control
Old 01-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Panic!

Quote:
So do you have the silver or white one? Do you use shoot through or or bounce through the diffusion. Do you use the black backing to use as a big softbox or shoot through umbrealla wth film control
Silver as a bounce and then it comes back out through the white diffusion. That's the only way to run the silver one with the diffusion. The shoot through one has a lot more spill obviously. The silver with the diffusion is nice, controlled directional light in a really large, soft package.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Dude

Quote:
Silver as a bounce and then it comes back out through the white diffusion. That's the only way to run the silver one with the diffusion. The shoot through one has a lot more spill obviously. The silver with the diffusion is nice, controlled directional light in a really large, soft package.
Legit, so i guess it makes sense to pay more for the silver one + diffusion.

Do you have the beauty dish? I know jstnce has one.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Panic!

Quote:
Legit, so i guess it makes sense to pay more for the silver one + diffusion.

Do you have the beauty dish? I know jstnce has one.
IMO, the silver/diffusion is the way to go. It's like a big round softbox - directional and soft.

I don't have the beauty dish - yet. I've got some revenue coming in in the next few weeks so I'll be picking it up soon. For $80, it's a no brainer(compare to a Profoto at $350). I'd like it for location work on windy days because it's sturdier and heavier.

jstncse, do you have the silver or the white one? I'm leaning towards silver because without the sock it has a pretty narrow beam spread(45 degrees), which I'd like. Looks like with the diffusion sock it opens up to 150 degrees if you want a wider spread. The white one starts at 130 degrees without the diffusion.