Go Back   The Come Up Board > PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panic! View Post
For $80, it's a no brainer
My exact thoughts

As for the PLM i definetly see where your comming from, i like the directionality from my softbox alot more then the light from my umbrellas. Id much rather have a huge softbox rather then umbrella.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:25 AM
Panic!

$1,000 check in the mail today. I think I might order a couple of things tomorrow. Saving up for a new body though too.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:28 AM
Dude

Quote:
$1,000 check in the mail today. I think I might order a couple of things tomorrow. Saving up for a new body though too.
Lens/Lighting over body

But i smell a d3 or a mf setup dont i =]
Old 01-28-2010, 05:42 AM
Dude

Gah why does this have to be so damn hard. Im on the 3 sided wall of AB's/sunpak/interfit.

Sunpak has the most power per dollar while AB's have the best range of modifiers and the interfit sits right between there and they have good reviews.

The sunpaks really are limited on modifiers, no beauty dishes, grids, or softboxes to be found. Interfit has a nice little collection of things. 24" softboxes, beauty dishes etc. Another big advantage is they come with stands and modifiers unlike ab's

They have 2 main kits im looking at. One has 3 150ws lights 3 stands, umbrella, softbox, and cloth background, bag. Really the best choice for shooting indoor portraits. I have a feeling im gonna be shooting some shots for some local summer camps this summer so this would really work for that.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=569825&is=REG

Second kit has 2 200ws lights, softbox, umbrella, stands, bag. More practical for simpler setups where the more light the better (like lighting up a ballroom) But this kit is only 30 bucks cheaper.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=500438&is=REG

So should i pay the extra 30 for another flash and background even though there less powerful lights? I'd also buy their beauty dish and get a vagabond anyways.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:19 AM
jstncse offline
In Training.

jstncse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
jstncse, do you have the silver or the white one?
yeah i have the silver one, and the 45 degree spread is what sold me. i just got my boom in, so i hadn't shot many portraits with it until tonight. i really like it from what ive seen, and i think what i shot with it tonight looks pretty nice. i have a little job next weekend that im planning on using it for, so it'll be the first time ive used it on location. ill post up some stuff from that.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstncse View Post
yeah i have the silver one, and the 45 degree spread is what sold me. i just got my boom in, so i hadn't shot many portraits with it until tonight. i really like it from what ive seen, and i think what i shot with it tonight looks pretty nice. i have a little job next weekend that im planning on using it for, so it'll be the first time ive used it on location. ill post up some stuff from that.
How does the B400 compare to your SB's power wise. Just curious
Old 01-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Panic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstncse View Post
After reading a lot more, people are telling me that you need to use the silver one with the diffusion to get close to the softness of the white one. Now I'm leaning towards the white one with a grid to tighten the beam when I want.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:32 PM
Dude

Quote:
After reading a lot more, people are telling me that you need to use the silver one with the diffusion to get close to the softness of the white one. Now I'm leaning towards the white one with a grid to tighten the beam when I want.
Grided beauty dishes looks so bad ass haha. Isnt the 22" grid pretty expensive?
Old 01-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Panic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Grided beauty dishes looks so bad ass haha. Isnt the 22" grid pretty expensive?
Yea, kind of...but I could see myself using it gridded a lot. Still inexpensive compared to a lot of the higher end manufacturer

22" 15 Grid $99.95
22" 30 Grid $69.95
Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 PM
jaycagney offline
Double Platinum.

jaycagney is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jaycagney

beauty dishes are the best thing ever and used a lot more than i imagined.

and using them gridded is even more awesome. after using all these big lights i never want to use my sunpaks anymore. i should just sell everything and buy some alien bees.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:43 AM
Tommy offline
Premature OGulation

Tommy is on a distinguished road

I've got two 622's and i love em. for what they are there cheap. however, my only complaint would be that there pretty bulky. I have a Q-flash T2 as well and thats dope if your into the bare bulb thing. its actually a really good flash, but theres a ton of un needed features built in if your using it off camera.

By far the best light's ive used are elinchrom rangers. There SOOOO powerful. if anyone gets to use them, or any quality studio strobe for the matter you'll know exactly what i mean.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:14 AM
DBUNN offline
Double Platinum.

DBUNN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DBUNN

ive been really thinking about slowly buying a lumedyne kit, i think it will deff be worth it for shooting riding in the future, those things are so powerfull, they look pretty heavy to, but i would deffinatly like to own one, does anyone have any info or experience with lumedynes systems
Go to the strip club, you need some tittes in your face.

east coast
http://thebunngeon.blogspot.com/

flikr
Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 AM
jaycagney offline
Double Platinum.

jaycagney is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jaycagney

I think they are used by many photographers for their lightness and power. Downside is price. Pretty sure Keith romanowski has one
Old 01-29-2010, 12:31 PM
DBUNN offline
Double Platinum.

DBUNN is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DBUNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycagney View Post
I think they are used by many photographers for their lightness and power. Downside is price. Pretty sure Keith romanowski has one
Yeah deff expensive. But i think my grandmas givin. Me like a thousand for graduating so i would probably use it for that. Andyeah keith has one. and pretty much every proffesional skate pphtographer has one. I just wanna nvo if maybe theres a cheaper alternative thats maybe just as powerful
Go to the strip club, you need some tittes in your face.

east coast
http://thebunngeon.blogspot.com/

flikr
Old 01-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Dude

Yo panic i think im gonna go with a b800 and vagabond. Do you think its worth grabbing a 30 degree grid? Also can you fit your cheap ebay softbox on the front of the stuck reflector?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Panic!

Quote:
Yo panic i think im gonna go with a b800 and vagabond. Do you think its worth grabbing a 30 degree grid? Also can you fit your cheap ebay softbox on the front of the stuck reflector?
Good choice. Don't think the softbox will work, but I've never tried. I'll try it later when I'm home. I think you'll use the grid a lot. It's only $15 too, so go for it.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Dude

Quote:
Good choice. Don't think the softbox will work, but I've never tried. I'll try it later when I'm home. I think you'll use the grid a lot. It's only $15 too, so go for it.
TRue true, yeah if i get one it should eliminate flare if im using it as a rim light or something like that
Old 01-30-2010, 04:20 AM
Panic!

Just ordered the white beauty dish. I skipped the grid for now but picked one up for the standard reflector. Psyched.

In an unrelated note, I bought two huge desks for our office today so my editing workspace is 50x more comfortable and inviting now. The're facing in against eachother rather than against the wall so I'm not just staring at that the whole time I'm editing. Again - psyched.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:23 AM
Dude

Quote:
Just ordered the white beauty dish. I skipped the grid for now but picked one up for the standard reflector. Psyched.

In an unrelated note, I bought two huge desks for our office today so my editing workspace is 50x more comfortable and inviting now. The're facing in against eachother rather than against the wall so I'm not just staring at that the whole time I'm editing. Again - psyched.
More info on said office?

You prolly wont be interested but theres alot of generic branded AB assesories on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Old 01-30-2010, 05:33 AM
Panic!

Quote:
More info on said office?
Eh, nothing to write home about, but I was working at a small desk against the wall before. It'll make sitting at a desk for hours a little easier. And don't mind the mess - still reorganizing everything.

Quote:
I thought ABs were inexpensive as it is so I didn't even look. The ones you posted are a little smaller than I'd like but there's other larger ones from that seller. They have a 59" Octa with a grid for $79. I think I might try them out. Thanks. It's a shame the beauty dish is only 16" or that would be super cheap with the grid. Still cheap...just not as cheap as it would be if it was 22".

Edit: Found a review of the Octa I mentioned. This guy bought the same one from the same seller. It's the "older" style softbox where it takes a bit to assemble it with the rods, whereas the AB ones are now all fold-able like an umbrella. So it looks like if you don't mind some extra set up time then it's fantastic deal.

http://www.kurbsterphotography.com/archives/14

AB's large Octa is 47" (probably a little more managable size - 60" is gigantic) and folds open and closed in seconds. But the AB large octa is $160. Then add another $55 for the grid.

Edit again: The ebay guy has a 47" also