Go Back   The Come Up Board > PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:09 AM
JSoule offline
New.

JSoule is on a distinguished road
Default Video Exporting/Uploading

Gone are the days of pixilated, low quality web videos from online hosting sites. With the correct compression it is now possible to upload videos and play them in high resolution that is equal to or better then what you’d see on TV.

Exporting from your editing software

Most video editing programs include encoding engines to compress your footage. If your editing software does not include the compression settings mentioned below, it is still possible to export your video in the highest quality your software allows, then use a third party compression program like MPEG Streamclip (which is free) to compress with the settings mentioned below.

Mpeg Streamclip from Squared 5

Video compression is almost an art. While it does work to just click on a preset compression setting, if you play around with the customs settings it is possible to export footage into small file sizes that still looks amazing.

While some video hosting sites have special requirements, there are certain settings you can follow to get the best results from major hosting websites like Vimeo and You Tube, (even Vitalbmx’s video hosting uses the same settings as Vimeo).

By following the settings bellow you will be able to get the best results. You may choose to create your own custom compression settings by altering the settings mentioned. Further down the page are some of the settings explained in greater detail.

HD Video Exporting

Frame size:
- 1280x720 for 720p
- 1920x1080 for 1080p

File Format:
- Quicktime .mov with H.264 compression
- Or, Quicktime .mp4 compression

Interlacing:
- Progressive, or “No field order”

Key Frame:
- Set to “Current” or 30 frames for NTSC, 25 frames for PAL.

Data Rate:
- 5000 kbits a second (It is possible to play around with data rate settings, as mentioned below).

Audio Settings:
- IMA 4:1 with 320 kbps bit rate, and 44.100 sample rates.
- Or, AAC compression with the same 320 kbps and 44.100 rates.

Standard Definition Video Exporting

Frame size:
- 720x480 for 4:3 Standard Definition (more on aspect ratios below)
- 853x480 for 16:9 Standard Definition (more on aspect ratios
below)

File Format:
- Quicktime .mov with H.264 compression
- Or, Quicktime .mp4 compression

Interlacing:
- Progressive, or “No field order”

Key Frame:
- Set to “Current” or 30 frames for NTSC, 25 frames for PAL.

Data Rate:
- 2000 kbits a second for 4:3 standard definition video
- 3000 kbits a second for 16:9 video standard definition video

Audio Settings:
- IMA 4:1 with 320 kbps bit rate, and 44.100 sample rates,
- Or, AAC compression with the same 320 kbps and 44.100 rates.

More detail on video settings

Listed below is further detail into some of the video settings mentioned above. It is possible to play around with compression settings and work out something that fits your videos the best. The information bellow will explain what some of these settings are.

Aspect Ratio
First and possibly the most important thing to know, is what aspect ratio your video was shot in. Nothing looks worse then a video that is squished or stretched, making everyone look short and fat. Knowing what your videos aspect ratio is will allow you to pick the best compression settings when exporting your video. While there are several cinematic aspect ratios the two important ones to know are 4:3 (square, non-widescreen) and 16:9 (Widescreen).

4:3 Is the Aspect Ratio you would see with an old “square TV.”

16:9 Is the “widescreen” aspect ratio. This is used with both HD and standard definition video.

Interlacing vs. Progressive

It is important to deinterlace your video footage when it’s being exported for web use. If you have ever watched a video and noticed small lines across the video or on the edges of fast moving objects, you are noticing interlacing artifacts. This is because interlacing uses two separate fields to put together one full frame of the image. See the link bellow for a diagram. Progressive footage uses only one field to show an image, so each frame is one complete picture, instead of two fields blended together. When you deinterlace it blends the fields together and creates a progressive image.

Interlacing artifacts

Interlacing

Frame Size
This is the size of the video in terms of pixels. For example an unaltered 720p HD video will have a frame size of 1280x720, while a standard definition video will have a frame size of 720x480. It is possible to change the frame size when compressing to shrink the size of the video, but when doing this, it is important to maintain the same ratio to not alter the videos aspect ratio.

File Format
The format you use to compress your videos. There are many formats supported by the major video hosting websites, like You Tube and Vimeo. To get the best compression, stick with H.264 compressed .mov and .mp4 files, or flash video compressed files in the .flv format.

Key Frames
A key frame is a frame of the video footage that stores the complete information of the image. Normally with video footage there are only small changes from one frame to another, so by reducing the number of key frames in your video you can reduce your videos file size.

Data Rate
This controls the actual quality and resolution of your video. Keep in mind that the higher the data rate, the larger the file size will be. With most video hosting sites it’s possible to lower the data rate and not have a major change in resolution due to the fact that most video hosting sites will shrink the video’s frame size down in their video players.

Audio Compression
The compression of audio can make a huge impact on the file size of footage. It is important to do it right, or your audio can sound hollow and tinny. For web compression, stick to IMA 4:1 or AAC compression settings. Be sure to set the bit rate to 320 kbps and a sample rate of 44.100 for the best results.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:21 PM
[kts] offline
Platinum.

[kts] is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to [kts]

this is what I used to learn SONY VEGAS TO VIMEO HD exporting

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2007/1...-for-vimeo-hd/
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
i already thought of that but i cant match my bike with those colors anyway
Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 AM
adolph3560 offline
Banned

adolph3560 is on a distinguished road

^^ hi:
so nice information..

--------
Lanzarote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:25 AM
brian page offline
New.

brian page is on a distinguished road

does it matter what i film my clips in, my camera gives these options( 1080p 30fps, 720p 30fps, or should i do 720p at60 fps) What do u suggest???
Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 PM
byk offline
New.

byk is on a distinguished road

Im using a DVD camcorder, what software (Free) can I use to ripp the DVD and save it in my hardrive and what video format will I use?

I tried using Handbrake but sometime when I use Adobe it does not import the audio.

Im new at this, need a little help
Old 04-03-2010, 11:50 AM
dollyy offline
TCUB's Fave SpamBot

dollyy is on a distinguished road

hey,u know i m good to uploading video..thnaks for this information..
--------------------

Baby Monitor
Old 04-05-2010, 01:30 PM
hernandez9039 offline
New.

hernandez9039 is on a distinguished road

You gave every good information about working of Video Exporting/Uploading. Thanks for sharing a lot.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:08 AM
tanwallsforme offline
Gold user.

tanwallsforme is on a distinguished road

Any info on the nano cam?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slone View Post
wtf how did she get the truck into the kitchen
Old 05-27-2010, 01:05 PM
sshayndell12 offline
New.

sshayndell12 is on a distinguished road

I used to learn SONY VEGAS TO VIMEO HD exporting.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:40 PM
F-it ridestreet offline
Platinum.

F-it ridestreet is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to F-it ridestreet

Can anyone post a link to a free video editing software? Windows is shit and im sick of it..

An the recommended HD settings up there^^ Do you change them in your editing software?

FLICK _____are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punjab View Post
Your mind is blown over Hey Arnold? What are you 8 years old? I can't wait to read the mind=blown thread you make when you see your first vagina.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:13 AM
The Elite offline
Gold user.

The Elite is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to The Elite

the HD exporting tips are a little bit outdated since the line of Canons are now heavily used, but good info overall.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:58 AM
JSoule offline
New.

JSoule is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elite
the HD exporting tips are a little bit outdated since the line of Canons are now heavily used, but good info overall.
That is incorrect. The popularity of HDSLRs does nothing to change compression settings for web use. The image quality from an HDSLR comes from the camera's sensor and lenses, and not the codec.

All the common HDSLRs right now from Canon, Nikon and Panasonic all shoot in an H.264, AVCHD codec which is no different then the codec used by many consumer and prosumer video cameras like the HMC 40, HMC150 or the NX5U. This means that once the footage is transcoded and imported into an NLE (editing software) it is no different in terms of format then any other solid state footage.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:56 AM
thiagobcthecrew offline
New.

thiagobcthecrew is on a distinguished road

http://vimeo.com/24924381 my new edit 4 pegs!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 AM
indianreal offline
New.

indianreal is on a distinguished road

Really very effective & helpful information which you share with us, thanks for such nice information.