Go Back   The Come Up Board > ASK THE PROS.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:09 AM
ADAM22. offline
Mr. Internet.

ADAM22. has disabled reputation
Default MIKE "ROOFTOP" ESCAMILLA Q&A.

Rooftop has been cool enough to agree to do a Q&A thread on here. Am I stoked? Yes. I don't think he needs an introduction, but if anyone has any questions about his history in BMX I'm sure he'll be happy to fill you in. He also seems more than willing to discuss the whole Tony Huck Boom Boom Huck Jam bikes thing he's involved in, so keep it respectful and I'm sure he'll be happy to fill everyone in on what he's up to.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Alan offline
Platinum user.

Alan is on a distinguished road

What was it like being part of the old Road Fools before they really had the "formula" figured out?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Rory Ellis offline
S&M+OSS REP

Rory Ellis is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Rory Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
What was it like being part of the old Road Fools before they really had the "formula" figured out?
not to take away from props, but as far as the road fools "formula" goes..

old road fools > new road fools (in my opinion)

it used to be more balanced between the riding and the antics, and now there is no more shenanigans or interesting non riding aspects of the videos(like them just hanging out etc.)
but if your talking overall amazing bike riding, obviously new road fools own.

just thought id throw that out there.
------------------------------------------------------------

rooftop question..

why would you backflip a running helicopter? obviously you already know this but if you bailed you would have been in a million little pieces.. thats apeshit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garebear View Post
When aitken crashed, we knew about it.

When schwartz fucked some guy's wife, we knew about it.

It's all just drama although maybe aitken is a little bit more important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyPabs View Post
i want to get mace and mace everybody
]

TimelessBMXS&MFRANCHISE BMX
MOST RECENT BIKE CHECK
Old 11-14-2007, 07:38 AM
ADAM22. offline
Mr. Internet.

ADAM22. has disabled reputation

My question:

What is your response to the beating that the Tony Hawk Bikes booth got in the BMX media after Interbike? I know your position but figured you should speak on it in here...

Oh one more, I've always beleived you were the first person to do a crooked grind, am I wrong? Regardless what's the biggest crook you've ever done ( stair wise )?

And again, thanks for doing this!
Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 AM
hax offline
Double Platinum.

hax is on a distinguished road

mr. escamilla, are you self aware that many kids do not know that you were genocidal on street, before it was popular? and still?
what are your thoughts on this injustice
Old 11-14-2007, 08:36 AM
xUNTAPPEDxPOTENTIALx offline
Oil.

xUNTAPPEDxPOTENTIALx is on a distinguished road

what was it like going up in the la habra area, and what spots around there were your favorite to ride?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Sam's Nuts offline
More legit.

Sam's Nuts is on a distinguished road

Do you ever turn on Matt Hoffman Pro BMX 1 and get pissed at how uncoordinated the graphics make you look?
Hahaha
Old 11-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Rooftop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam22 View Post

Rooftop has been cool enough to agree to do a Q&A thread on here. Am I stoked? Yes. I don't think he needs an introduction, but if anyone has any questions about his history in BMX I'm sure he'll be happy to fill you in. He also seems more than willing to discuss the whole Tony Huck Boom Boom Huck Jam bikes thing he's involved in, so keep it respectful and I'm sure he'll be happy to fill everyone in on what he's up to.
Hello everyone,

Wanna say thanks to adam first for involving me and giving me this opportunity to take a beating on the internet.hahah.just kidding.anyways ill do my best to answer all the questions as quick as possible, i know there are lots of rumors and confusions on things im involved in and who i am. im a horrible speller and my grammar is even worse so enjoy trying to decode my responses. one thing you can expect is ill try and give you the answers as straight as i can without sugar coating them to much, so if you write something retarded,expect a retarded answer. im hoping there will be some good questions with all the "pro boards" seeming how so many of us view things in such a different light depending on where we are all standing....

have a good one

mike
Old 11-14-2007, 02:05 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam's Nuts View Post
Do you ever turn on Matt Hoffman Pro BMX 1 and get pissed at how uncoordinated the graphics make you look?
Hahaha
i dont even own a copy and barely remember what it looks like..i remember at the time thinking some of that but the whole experience of being in a video game was a little to surreal at the time to really nit pick it so much. video games have come a long way since then..
Old 11-14-2007, 02:19 PM
TheLegendHimself offline
Quadruple Platinum.

TheLegendHimself is on a distinguished road

lol i had to go out and buy matt hoffman 2 the other day,

q1) how long did it prepare you for the long jump record, and what did the huge slow ass rotation on the 3 feel like ?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Danny Glover offline
Gold user.

Danny Glover is on a distinguished road

How much does your bike weigh? (all 4 pegs/front+rear brakes mode)
Old 11-14-2007, 04:32 PM
RoyalOne offline
Platinum.

RoyalOne is on a distinguished road

you bang kat von d? she is one sexy lady

refs- geoslayer88(x4), skavnger21, Ronnie, xxKylexx, Deadwing, Murphington!, Al Pacino, PeteyPabs, bn27, Hank Nutshot, Troy Polamalu,travisty,keystone, abikes, jtb, troy, therifraf, JMOORE, sugary monkey, Rosie O'Donnel Jr, DAVID J, Charles Darwin, The Beetis, saugabmx , purplerain814, pieceoffitrider7o,I Like Bikes, spikez5,nahnah
Old 11-14-2007, 04:34 PM
EAGNJ offline
Double Platinum.

EAGNJ is on a distinguished road

whats your opinion on indian givers and landing whips to frame
Old 11-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

i havent been on road fools in along time but back then they were really fun and i remember being stoked that i felt like it was a adventure going on them
Old 11-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodizzle View Post
not to take away from props, but as far as the road fools "formula" goes..

old road fools > new road fools (in my opinion)

it used to be more balanced between the riding and the antics, and now there is no more shenanigans or interesting non riding aspects of the videos(like them just hanging out etc.)
but if your talking overall amazing bike riding, obviously new road fools own.

just thought id throw that out there.
------------------------------------------------------------

rooftop question..

well to be completely honest i havent seen a road fools since like number 7 or 8.

your right they have changed alot, i feel now that whether it be props outlook or the riders outlook that road fools has just lost its edge, i mean how fresh can you keep the same set up which every year they go to less and less places, there running out of cities in america. i think they need to do some overseas more...like japan or Australia.

they were also for a while made so they could go straight to fuel tv(basically having a host) which i felt took away from the organic feel and nature of the earlier videos. but business is business and i understand there need for doing that.

as far as the riding being more superior. well of course the newer the video the better the riding, that is the natural course of progression but i have always felt those videos have been up to date with what is going on in bmx at the time of there release..

why would you backflip a running helicopter? obviously you already know this but if you bailed you would have been in a million little pieces.. thats apeshit!
well at the time seemed like a good idea..hahha
really mtv just asked what i wanted to do and i was just throwing retarded shit to see if they would say yes...and they did...so i had to then
Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hax View Post
mr. escamilla, are you self aware that many kids do not know that you were genocidal on street, before it was popular? and still?
what are your thoughts on this injustice

i dont know if its a injustice at all. but thank you for the compliment. i dont think our industry as a whole does a good job on educating the youth about anything really. any of us that were around in the early nineties all had a hand in pushing the sport in the direction it is going now just like the new younger riders like dakota and garret reynolds are doing now for the future..one day no one will know what they did either....thats just the way it is
Old 11-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xUNTAPPEDxPOTENTIALx View Post
what was it like going up in the la habra area, and what spots around there were your favorite to ride?

la habra was awesome..street used to be so good..a lot of spots have been torn down now but it had everything you needed in such a small area.....
Old 11-14-2007, 04:51 PM
TheLegendHimself offline
Quadruple Platinum.

TheLegendHimself is on a distinguished road

oh hey mike,

how many covers have you been on ?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

q1) how long did it prepare you for the long jump record, and what did the huge slow ass rotation on the 3 feel like ?[/QUOTE]

i went out to pastranas a week before and did some into the foam...but i had never actually jumped the jump till day of.i got a hour to do it and that was it.i would of liked to ridden it for longer that day and flipped the big one but they cut me off...and the 360 are the best feeling ever..you spin so slow but you dont feel like it cause your going like 35 miles an hour and it feels so wild at about 180 to 360...
Old 11-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendHimself View Post
oh hey mike,

how many covers have you been on ?
not sure...like 6 or 7 maybe?