Go Back   The Come Up Board > ASK THE PROS.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Rooftop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGNJ View Post
whats your opinion on indian givers and landing whips to frame

if u can make your foot to the frame ..you mine as well just get it to the pedals..as far as indian givers go..as much as i see the dislike,im am guilty of a few..sometimes i just cant get my body to got that way...if i could not do them at all i wouldnt..but sometimes shit happens

Last edited by Rooftop; 11-14-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:57 PM
SasquatchStatus offline
More legit.

SasquatchStatus is on a distinguished road

I have read a couple different times in your interviews that you relate snowboarding to what you do on a bike. Care to elaborate? I snowboard as well and maybe it has alot to do with the fact that I suck but I dont understand how its supposed to be similar? Is this where you get the motivation/inspiration to look at riding in a different way than most other guys?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Glover View Post
How much does your bike weigh? (all 4 pegs/front+rear brakes mode)

not sure but im not to fussy about it i think maybe like 27..i know its heavy for todays standards but not compared to the past
Old 11-14-2007, 05:00 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalOne View Post
you bang kat von d? she is one sexy lady
hahah...no

we are just friends
Old 11-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SasquatchStatus View Post
I have read a couple different times in your interviews that you relate snowboarding to what you do on a bike. Care to elaborate? I snowboard as well and maybe it has alot to do with the fact that I suck but I dont understand how its supposed to be similar? Is this where you get the motivation/inspiration to look at riding in a different way than most other guys?
wow good question, well years ago before everyone did 540 and 180s over stuff and even 720 i would ride like 50 ft snow jumps and do shit to fakie, it made me realize you could do all these things on a bike as well even if you were hauling ass..even when i see different rail set ups and ways they position there bodies to get the board to lean right i can imagine a bike trick with your body in that position and what part of your bike would you have to slide with to do it. i pretty much think all things can be related to how you ride your bike...

i think a common mistake is that a good bike rider has to do with skill

i think what makes a person good at any sport or anything really isnt his actual skill but how they view there surroundings and what is possible...

hope this answers your question
Old 11-14-2007, 05:17 PM
EGGS offline
AKA Meltdown.

EGGS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftop View Post
wow good question, well years ago before everyone did 540 and 180s over stuff and even 720 i would ride like 50 ft snow jumps and do shit to fakie, it made me realize you could do all these things on a bike as well even if you were hauling ass..even when i see different rail set ups and ways they position there bodies to get the board to lean right i can imagine a bike trick with your body in that position and what part of your bike would you have to slide with to do it. i pretty much think all things can be related to how you ride your bike...

i think a common mistake is that a good bike rider has to do with skill

i think what makes a person good at any sport or anything really isnt his actual skill but how they view there surroundings and what is possible...

hope this answers your question
great answer i like your thinking . you sound like one of the few guys in bmx for bmx .

i also wanna say thank you
being 29 you dont see many guys still riding , they make a million excuses not to so when i see some one else in the dirty30 club it makes me feel like there is no reason to stop.

oh and you killed it in the etnies video n/h

oh and guys he didn't bang kat he banged that other chick lol
Old 11-14-2007, 05:56 PM
prbmx offline
is probably talking out of his ass right now.

prbmx is on a distinguished road

I know this is probably a retarded question, but why do they call you ROOFTOP?? I always knew you as Rooftop but never REALLY knew why??? Hook me up Escamilla... with an answer that is
Old 11-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Mookie Blaylock offline
In Training.

Mookie Blaylock is on a distinguished road

Not a question but a quick compliment since you're reading this thread. Your part in the alleyway of that old Hoffman Bikes VHS video "Until Monkeys Fly" still gets me stoked.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:34 PM
THE FUCKING BEST offline
Triple platinum user.

THE FUCKING BEST is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalOne View Post
you bang kat von d? she is one sexy lady
nah, man they're friends....

YO ROOFTOP! PUT IN A GOOD WORD FOR ME!! haha
"We got to face some facts. That the masses are poor, that the masses belong to what you call the lower class, and when I talk about the masses, I'm talking about the white masses, I'm talking about the black masses, and the brown masses, and the yellow masses, too.

-Fred Hampton
Deputy Chairman, Black Panther Party
Old 11-14-2007, 11:39 PM
sxthirteen offline
Crack.

sxthirteen is on a distinguished road

what do you think about how the tony hawk bikes came out? is that really how you guys wanted them?
Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 AM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxthirteen View Post
what do you think about how the tony hawk bikes came out? is that really how you guys wanted them?
this is a great question and am going to answer that and more from the other question about the huck jam bikes deal..just need to get a moment to sit down and write a complete thought..so check back soon

thanks mike
Old 11-15-2007, 02:43 AM
B.C.HYDRO offline
Gold user.

B.C.HYDRO is on a distinguished road

yo mike,
being from vancouver bc and knowing all the bmx jihad and alex chalmers anti bmx related hate he spits. i was wondering what it was like being on tour with him on the tony hawk tour. did he bring it up(like he trys to at concrete parks in van)? or did he lay low on all that shit cause you and tony are friends.............i hope you gave it back to him cause he acts like a bitch sometimes. (and was trated like a bitch when local rider chris smith punched him at hastings bowl)
on another tony hawk related note, the photo of you fufanuin, while he 5-0 the coping is one of my favorite photos cause it shows how we can all ride and skate together and have fun.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:05 AM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Default Huck Jam Bikes

Huck Jam Bikes

Ill try and give you guys a little insight to what it actually is and why I decided to be apart of it.

Ok first off. Here’s a few rumors I want to dispel and facts I want o share before we get started even though i've said them before somehow people don’t seem to want to believe them.

1.Huck jam bikes are not going to be in bike shops (thought was since they were at interbike they are headed for bike shops. Pogo sticks and aquatic gear are presented at interbike as well, more then bike shop owners shop there. Think)

2.Its Huck Jam Bikes not Tony Hawk bikes. (Even though those of you who saw the booth at interbike it seemed like Tony Hawk bikes, its not.)

3.These bikes are targeting young kids and trying to provide them with a better bike as a jumping off point to begin with not to try and compete with “hardcore” companies.

With those few things said, here’s a brief run down of my involvement.

As you all know who Tony Hawk is and how much he is a figurehead and spokesperson for action sports. Most of you should know what the Boom Boom Huck Jam is as well. Well along with the Huck Jam shows came lots of Huck Jam Merchandise, and as the brand got bigger the opportunities to do more licensing deals presented themselves. Well one of those deals was a Huck Jam bikes deal. Meant for big box stores like Target,Wal Mart,Toys r us,ect. When Tony approached me about the deal I was at first very skeptical of the whole thing. But as I became more familiar and educated about the whole idea and intent I felt it was truly my reasonability to be apart of it and make sure there was someone from our industry over seeing the project. (Side note Tony wasn’t going to do this deal without a bike riders involvement)

Now here what Huck Jam Bikes is: right now there are bikes made by our industry and then there are the majority of bikes in America made by random companies making cheap bikes with no intent or knowledge to make them better for the public. Sadly no matter how much we would all like it if people shopped at bikes shops the majority of America buys there bikes at these big box stores (Target,Wal mart,ect.) And they do so because that is what there budget allows. No one in our industry has reached out to try and tap into this market that represent roughly 10 million bikes a year. And who can blame them; our industry, kids and companies alike discredit anyone who reaches out to the mainstream to fund our small industry. Even though every other action sport has: skate,snow,surf. So we continue to have Pro’s who don’t get paid and shrinking magazines. Instead of using every teenage kid to help make our industry grow so we can continue survive and support the thing we love.

We saw this as an opportunity to try and improve the bikes that were sold at these outlets. Hopefully encouraging kids to keep riding and not be so discouraged because the bike they got is a complete pile. This seems like an easy feat to design a better bike from the outside, but with a new set of rules and guidelines that restricts you from so many things. We had to design a better bike without increasing the price. Well surprisingly we could do a lot with the design, but we had to allow certain things that regardless of how much we didn’t like it was a must. Like some of the frame designs and colors for the small bikes. People forget that at that level your customer is a six year old and they care more about colors and stickers then anything else. Also keeping in mind not to make a bike to good that it could compete with a “hardcore” brands bike. I know it seems weird not to make the best bike possible but welcome to mass market. Everyone one has a price they want to spend and if you’re in this business you have to supply the customer with what they want and can afford.

There is a wide range of bikes, 74 to be exact, (ranging from like $39 to $250) all which had to be different. Not as easy as you think to do. In the end we accomplished a lot for the first round of bikes, compared to the bike that we replaced we dropped an average of 3 to 4 pounds off many of the bikes and there over all look of the 20-inch bikes resembles closer to the bikes ridden by pros. We were even able to get full chromoly frame, fork and bars, cassette wheels and double wall rims on some of the higher end bikes (and we are talking in around the 200 dollar range.)

So when you look at it that way I really feel like we did a good thing for bikes, these bikes are going to be bought anyways so all we did was help put better quality and better looking bikes on the street hopefully encouraging the kid who’s only option is a bike from Target to at least feel like his bike is cooler then one with a mono tube and a dragon on it. Hopefully keeping him into bike long enough for him to decide if its something he’s going to pursue.

Hopefully those of you with a bit of an open mind will really look at what I just wrote and understand the need for this. The most upsetting thing to me is not that Tony hawk is involved in this, its that our own industry “big wigs” meaning companies with high profile riders or owners didn’t set forth to try and do this first, hopefully this will open the doors for them to do so. We are the ones running bmx. We should be the ones benefiting. But so far no one will step up. Sad.

My personal goal was to give back to a piece of bmx that no one currently even notices or cares about, and truthfully it’s where it all begins. So for me if I could help a kid pick up a bike whether it be because of the Tony hawk branding on it or not, if that’s what it takes,im fine with that. One more kid pedaling early is one more kid who could be a potential customer, rider, enthusiasts, or peer. And in the end that all I care about. I Know plenty of people see this as a bad thing but really it’s the first step towards more brands hopefully getting involved in our sport where it begins. I knew doing this would bring lots of heat but I do really believe in what we are doing, and that’s all I needed to be apart of it.

I hope this was not just a mess to read and gives a little insight on the subject. i don’t expect everyone to agree but or support this but at least these are some fact so you can make your own decision bases on these facts instead of misguided rumors.

Thanks

Mike

If there are any more specifics anyone has questions about feel free to ask ill try and answer the best I can…
Old 11-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C.HYDRO View Post
yo mike,
being from vancouver bc and knowing all the bmx jihad and alex chalmers anti bmx related hate he spits. i was wondering what it was like being on tour with him on the tony hawk tour. did he bring it up(like he trys to at concrete parks in van)? or did he lay low on all that shit cause you and tony are friends.............i hope you gave it back to him cause he acts like a bitch sometimes. (and was trated like a bitch when local rider chris smith punched him at hastings bowl)
on another tony hawk related note, the photo of you fufanuin, while he 5-0 the coping is one of my favorite photos cause it shows how we can all ride and skate together and have fun.
there was tension in the earlier years and yes we both gave it to each other on a daily basis... but in the end we are friends, we have diff opinions and beliefs but thats ok. i believe now he's a bit more mellow. and thanks for the compliment about the photo..

and to ADAM22 the question about crooked grinds..
its hard to say who invented what back then but i believe i may have been..we filmed the one in dirty deed sometime in late 93 or early 94, i did them on flat bar before that, as far as the longest one ive ever done, sadly not that long maybe like 10 or 12 stairs i did a long mellow one at the old b3 contest in seal beach which was pretty long but at the last second i slipped off and got knocked out, even broke my full face helmet on that slam. had fluid behind the ear. it sucked for a few days.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Sam's Nuts offline
More legit.

Sam's Nuts is on a distinguished road

Okay.
I just watched an episode of BMX PIG on Fuel tv.
And you were "coaching" Team Canada or something.
You had a big black eye and a sling over your arm.
What happened?

Haha
Old 11-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

ya i was supposed to be in that PIG but on the way down to the comp i fell and hit my head at a cement park in corona, i split my head/eye in 2 places and got knocked out and was incoherent for about a hour, when i came to, i had amnesia, it lasted about 4 or 5 hours, thank goodness for dustin guenther and corey bohen. after i got to the hospital i realized i had also seperated my shoulder from my collarbone and from my sternum. i was a wreck. for the next two weeks i had post concussion syndrome. which caused my to get super dizzy and throw up when i stared at any artificial light (tv/house lights/ect) it was the worst head injury i had ever had and left a long last ing effect that still causes me issues today...
Old 11-15-2007, 03:20 PM
DBG765 offline
Triple Platinum.

DBG765 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DBG765

have you ever been in love & if so, how did you know she was that one special lady
Old 11-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Rooftop offline
Yes, Rooftop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBG765 View Post
have you ever been in love & if so, how did you know she was that one special lady
well this was a question i wasnt expecting hahaha..but ya of course man.and its different for everyone..all i can say is you will know when you know. then she will break your heart and you will hate,disrespect and try to get them to do all sorts of fucked up things for the rest of your life..fun times..good luck..haha jk man. you know when you know
Old 11-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Joel6303 offline
Gold user.

Joel6303 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Joel6303

Good response for the Huck Jam Bike.
I hope people really read it and understand.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 11-15-2007, 04:44 PM
ADAM22. offline
Mr. Internet.

ADAM22. has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel6303 View Post
Good response for the Huck Jam Bike.
I hope people really read it and understand.
For sure, I'm front-paging it.